Monday, February 12, 2007

IRANIAN WEAPON MARKINGS FROM THE PAST

Can be found here. A little over more than halfway down the page, there is this picture:




The caption reads "Persian markings of a Brno made rifle." It goes on to say that:

One typical such inscription read "tofang-e nemoone 1309 karkhane-ye aslahe sazi berno" ("Rifle model 1309 Made at Brno Arms factory." The number 1309 refers to the Persian year 1309 which is the year 1930 in the Western calendar).


So in 1930 at least, "Persian" was used as well as the Persian calendar. Do they not do that anymore? I don't know--I'm asking. Also, Farsi has its own characters for the familiar Arabic numbers that we use.

Wait, here's another picture from the same website:



More Farsi markings.

My point is, if the weapons in the pictures the U.S. is disseminating were in fact made in Iran, why are their markings in English?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

What are you talking about? That website isn't saying they were made in Iran. Those weapons were made in Czechoslovakia, then purchased by the Turks and the Persians. (I know because I own one.) You can reply to my email at jti109@psu.edu