Tuesday, May 18, 2004

OH, I FORGOT...

On my post from yesterday, I forgot to mention the fact that when I was teaching at Hawkins Junior High School in Hattiesburg, MS, I could count the number of white students in my classes on one hand. And I mean that literally. It was so strange to me that I finally asked the other teachers where the white kids went to school (I had just moved there with my wife). They apparently went to Rowan, in the largely black part of town. All the teachers talked about the Hattiesburg school district being under some kind of court order. They weren't that sure of what it was about, but apparently it had to do with school segregation.

Anyway, I was only there three months, but in that time, the court order was lifted and Hattiesburg schools were granted "unitary" status, meaning that its schools were finally integrated. I found this odd in a school that was at least 90% black...

And good riddance, Mr. Chalabi...$340,000 a month? For leading us astray? While 44 million of our own citizens have no health insurance?

No comments: